Composer: Johannes Brahms
Performer: Murray Perahia
Format: FLAC (tracks)
Size: 0.99 GB
01. Variations and Fugue on a Theme by Handel, Op. 24
Rhapsodies, Op. 79
02. Rhapsodie in B Minor, Op. 79, No. 1
03. Rhapsodie in G Minor, Op. 79, No. 2
Klavierstücke, Op. 118
04. Intermezzo in A Minor, Op. 118, No. 1
05. Intermezzo in A Major, Op. 118, No. 2
06. Ballade in G Minor, Op. 118, No. 3
07. Intermezzo in F Minor, Op. 118, No. 4
08. Romance in F Major, Op. 118, No. 5
09. Intermezzo in E-flat Minor, Op. 118, No. 6
Klavierstücke, Op. 119
10. Intermezzo in B Minor, Op. 119, No. 1
11. Intermezzo in E Minor, Op. 119, No. 2
12. Intermezzo in C Major, Op. 119, No. 3
13. Rhapsodie in E-flat Major, Op. 119, No. 4
Twenty years after his last Brahms disc, American pianist Murray Perahia has chosen to revisit this great composer’s works with a new recording featuring the great Handel Variations, Op. 24, a work Perahia considers on a par with Bach’s Goldberg variations. Alongside this are key works from Brahms’ middle and late piano periods. The Two Rhapsodies, Op.79 from his middle period, form the centrepiece of the disk and are deeply Romantic.
The album finishes with the introspective and autumnal Piano Pieces Opp.118 and 119, both from Brahms’ late period.
This is music of a mature composer performed by a pianist at the height of his powers. Murray Perahia has been an exclusive Sony Classical recording artist for almost 40 years, and is one of the most sought-after and cherished pianists of our time. He is the Principal Guest Conductor of the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, with whom he has toured globally as conductor and pianist. In 2004 he was awarded an honorary KBE by Her Majesty The Queen, in recognition of his outstanding service to music.
Perahia’s previous recordings have garnered a Grammy® Award and several nominations, a Gramophone Award and a BBC Music Magazine Award.