Composer: Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco
Performer: Joel Marangella, Jay Harrison, Ashley Arbuckle, Michael Goldschlager
Orchestra: West Australian Symphony Orchestra
Conductor: Andrew Penny
Format: FLAC (tracks)
Size: 269 MB
01. Giulio Cesare (Julius Caesar), Op. 78
02. La bisbetica domata (The Taming of the Shrew), Op. 61
03. Antony and Cleopatra, Op. 134
04. A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Op. 108
05. The Tragedy of Coriolanus, Op. 135
06. La dodicesima notte (Twelfth Night), Op. 73
The art of Shakespeare was a recurring fascination for Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco. In addition to two operas and numerous settings of songs and sonnets, he wrote 11 Shakespeare Overtures which here receive their first ever complete recording.
Deploying all the resources of the symphony orchestra, these are some of the twentieth century’s most dramatic and tuneful orchestral works, spectacular evocations of Shakespeare’s greatest plays.